What to bring on your Laos Tour
Laos travel packing information, the ultimate Laos Travel Packing List
Traveling to Laos does need some preparation and this Lao packing list and information below will give you an outline about what you need to pack. Of course this information depends very much on your personal style of travel in Laos. If you are coming by yourself, in a group, on CULTURAL SIGHTSEEING TOUR or on a BAREFOOT JUNGLE ADVENTURE... this list must be adjusted.
But in general it is important to prepare well and get your gear together for an exclusive and adventurous stay in Laos before you leave. And of course, while planning and packing for Laos, you will already enjoy part of the fun you will have...
We at Tiger Trail Travel receive many emails with the question about
"What do I need to bring to Laos", and "Do you have a Laos packing list"?
And yes, here we have prepared some ideas and answers for you.
- Passport with minimum 6 month validity left, VERY IMPORTANT!!
- a good back pack (no Chinese copy-quality)
- a good Travel insurance that actually covers Laos
- a second or more photo ID other than your passport
- drivers license if you wish to go on the road or rent a bike or a car
- Important scans and documents on hardcopy and on a link on your cloud e.g. dropbox or google drive
- blood donor/type card in case of...
- prescriptions for any medication you require. Be assured that most Lao chemists will sell medicine without a script, but if you are searched by immigration it's good to be able to show you need the medicine you carry.
- credit cards, not all carrying on the same bag please, and not all of them in your day to day wallet
- light sleeping bag or blanket for cleanliness if you hang out at backpacker places, others than that – only for trips around October till February
- sun protection, a hat, mosquito spray and sunscreen (enough of it)
- small towel and swim suit, maybe a light outdoor towel - the waterfalls are inviting!
- good walking shoes and trekking sandals for activities and Fliipflops
- first aid kit for outdoor activities if you plan such
- earplugs for the nights you wish for them
- padlock to prevent steeling and unwanted searching of your bags
- an easy to wash set of long and short cloths for outdoor use
- rain protection as our tours are held rain or shine (especially in June-October)
- basic toiletries and toilet paper
- biological shampoo/soap to use on Lao treks
- string and hooks to hang your cloths
- games & a good book for on the bus or a lonely night
- small knife + binoculars flash light and extra batteries
- candles and lighter make sense, not in hand luggage please
- Hygiene kit with soap, tissues, toothbrush...
- MP3 player with some of your beloved music - unless you use your smartphone
- useful gifts for your host family, if you join one of our community tours or project community tours in Laos
(pens, child books and more can be found here as well www.bigbrothermouse.com )
If you plan to travel long distances by motorbike or with our MOTOLAO motorcycle adventure tours in Laos, be sure you get your specific travel packing list before you go. Last but not least, be sure to pack your stuff in solid plastic bags to stop them from getting wet, especially when travelling in the green season or on boats. This will help to prevent some problems along the way.
Related article "Stay healthy on a trek in Laos"
Remember that proper packing of your stuff in the back pack is also an important thing. Make sure each item is in its own place that you remember, and easy for you to reach. Heavy things close to your back, the lighter things on the top and front. During the green season (june till october) put the items into plastic bags before loading them into another larger plastic bag in your rucksack.
What should I pack and bring for my tour in Laos?
First and most importantly you should bring an open mind and a sense of humour while visiting Laos. Don't just travel to Laos and come with preconceived ideas about what Laos is like, as media, news, blogs and and friends' experiences have a habit of distorting reality even before you get here.
If you are traveling with one of our special adventure programs in Laos we do recommend you to bring as little as possible. Most things can probably bought in Bangkok or any other bigger Asian town before you head to Laos.
Laos travel packing essentials start also with a small day pack that you can use on the days out from your guesthouse and hotel. Also, when traveling in Laos, remember darker colored clothes do not need to be washed as often and as long/intensively as others. Also while giving it to a laundry it's most likely not coming back in different colors. Good shoes are a real travel essential for Laos, as many areas are still very wild and rough, and they should be well worn in, of course shoes or light hiking boots are best bought before arriving.
Make sure you bring some earplugs for when you're stuck in a noisy bus or sleeping room. Take a mirror for shaving, as often local guesthouses or home stays in Laos won't have any. Bring also some hooks and a string for hanging up washing or your wet gear. While traveling in Laos, remember to pack some games for long bus rides or the evenings with villagers and friends you meet along. Tampons are not commonly available, and can be bought only in a few expat grocery stores in Vang Vieng, Pakse, Vientiane and Luang Prabang.
If you need more information about your personal trip and a list of suggestions for the style of travel you will take part in Laos, please let us know and send us a message.
We also publish more information on specific topics on Laos on our travel story blog,
news, and weekly updates are published on our Explore Laos website.