TOURCODE 61585 (MYS-5) Description
Journey through the mountains, from ancient sites to traditional villages, to the heart of Laos. You'll start in Phonsavanh, visiting the Plain of Jars, exploring local markets, seeing numerous traditional Hmong and Khmu hill-tribe villages, and touring the MAG visitor center. We'll make our way to the magnificent Kong Lor cave where we'll take a tiny boat and follow the river though the 8 kilometer cave through the mountain. Before continuing on to Vientiane Capital
- Ride through scenic mountainous jungle and villages
- Visit historic Muang Sui city
- Stay the night in Phonsavanh
- Tour sites 1,2, & 3 within the Plain of Jars
- Explore Muang Khoun, the former royal capital of the Xieng Khouang region
- Choose from among a variety of sites and activities in Xiang Khouang
- Shop at a local market
- Learn about the legacy of war at the MAG visitor center
- Visit That Foun and Wat Pievat in Muang Khoun
- Travel through Laos’ highest mountains and historic cities on your way to Vientiane
- Visit the stunning Kong Lor Cave
Day 01 A Mountain Journey (L)
We'll leave Luang Prabang and take Route 13 through the highlands and breathtaking scenery to Xieng Khouang. On the way we'll stop to explore one of the many Hmong villages we pass. The small, quiet town of Muang Sui is notable for several reasons. During the Indochina War, this was the last position of the Nationalist Lao Army and the CIA, supported by Air America, before it was evacuated. This area became known as 'Lima Site L-108' and the runway and some of the abandoned buildings are still visible today. While in Muang Sui we will visit Buddhist sites in the area, including historic temples and caves used as hospitals and shelters during the Indochina wars. We'll spend the night in Phonsavanh.
Day 02 Phonsavanh and the Plain of Jars (B/L)
Your guide will take you to explore the Phonsavanh local market and an exhibit displaying the huge variety of bombs used during the Indochina War on the way to visit the Plain of Jars. You'll visit sites 1, 2 & 3 within the Plain of Jars, all of which have been made safe (other areas are considered too dangerous due to remaining unexploded ordnance (UXO).
Day 03 Xieng Khouang excursion: Tham Piew Cave and Tai Dam Weaving Village (B/L)
Today we’ll drive approximately 50 kilometers to the Tham Piew cave, a site significant in the Indochina War. Its story illustrates the turbulent history that has shaped so much of this country’s past and present. On the way we'll meet the Hmong people and experience their culture by visiting their markets and villages. Returning from the cave we'll stop to see a very different culture -- the Tai Dam and their weaving village. We'll spend the night in Phonsavanh.
Day 04 Phonsavanh – Overland via Paksan to Nahin in Khammouane (B/L)
Today we travel south to the small town of Ban Hahin. Stopping along the way to visit local Khmu villages and the bustling market of Paksan. Ban Nahin, surrounded by stunning limestone mountains, is where we will stay for the night. Take time to explore the town and surroundings, relax or maybe trek to the nearby Tad Namsamam waterfall.
Day 05 Kong Lor Cave and return to Vientiane (B,L)
We'll leave early today and head to the miraculous Kong Lor Caves. For 7.5 Kilometers the Hin Bun River makes its way through the mountain forming this stunning cave, we'll board a local longboat and follow the river through the cave. Using headlamps and torches you can view the stunning stalactites and stalagmites before enjoying a picnic lunch within the Hin Boun National Protected Area. In the afternoon we'll continue our journey on to Vientiane Capital.
Included Travel Services
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin shared)
- English speaking guide
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals where indicated in itineraries (B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner)
- Lao PDR government tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/pax, depending on nationality)
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request