TOURCODE 13142 (SON-10) Description
This splendid North Laos tour takes you to the stunning Eco-Lodges and unbelievable nature resorts of Northern Laos. On this tour you will engage with the communities, nature and wildlife of "Simply Beautiful" Laos whilst staying in the most exclusive and stunning accommodation in all of Laos. From the glamorous, riverside tents of Kamu Lodge - all entirely solar-powered to the elegance and laid back style of The Muang La Resort. Soaring mountains, lush jungle and deep river valleys will be your stunning backdrop as you visit ancient cave shrines and stunning waterfalls.
- Cruise up the Mekong River to explore the Pak Ou Cave of a thousand Buddhas
- Stay two nights at the Kamu Lodge, a hotel designed as a Kamu culture immersion experience
- Select from among Kamu cultural activities
- Enjoy three nights of hot springs and local excursions at the luxurious Muang La Resort
- Ride in a long-tail boat through the rugged, mountainous Nam Ou River valley
- Explore the beautiful city of Nong Khiaw
- Visit the “100 waterfalls” on an exclusive tour in Nong Khiaw
1. Day 01 Luang Prabang – Pak Ou Caves – Kamu Lodge (L/D)
Early in the morning we’ll meet you at your hotel for transfer to the boat pier for a cruise up the Mekong River to Kamu Lodge. Along the way, we’ll stop to visit the famous Pak Ou caves which house thousands of Buddha statues of all styles and sizes. There are two caves, both accessed by stairs. The lower cave, Tham Ting, is naturally lit. The upper cave, Tham Phum, is deeper yet easily explored. Upon reaching Kamu Lodge settle in to your luxury camping accommodation.
2. Day 02 Kamu Lodge (B/L/D)
Here, you'll choose from a wide range of activities in the jungle among villages and rice paddies. The “tents” are comfortable fully-appointed. Relax and take in the beauty of the landscape, participate in hands-on learning about rice planting, or even try your hand at gold panning and archery as the locals do it. The Kamu Lodge is designed to expose you to and give you opportunity for hands-on experience of the lifestyle of the Kamu ethnic group.
4. Day 03 Kamu Lodge – Pak Beng (B/L)
Board a traditional slow boat trip up the Mekong River to Pak Beng, visiting the local villages of different ethnic minorities along the way. We'll arrive in Pakbeng in the afternoon and stay the night.
4. Day 04 Pak Beng – Oudomxay – Muang La Resort (B/L/D)
We'll drive to our next destinations, reaching the province of Oudom Xai (Muang Xai on some maps) in a few hours. The region, the heart of northern Laos, is rich in mountain scenery and many ethnic minorities live here. In the afternoon, you'll discover the rural life of the Pak La village near the resort, stroll through the area, and take in the panoramic views over the Nam Pak River. Choose from a selection of local cultural and short adventure activities before relaxing in the therapeutic on-site hot springs at the Muang La Resort. You'll learn more about how the Khmu people live in harmony with their environment. The site at Muang La is dominated by the temple of Pha Chiao Sing Kham, which houses a sacred Buddha. According to those responsible for its protection, the statue simply appeared hundreds of years ago and so the temple is now a sacred place of pilgrimage. You'll dine and spend the night at the resort.
5. Day 05 Muang La Resort (B/L/D)
We'll set off in the morning by 4x4 for short drive to Pak Khai. The ride offers some magnificent views over the Nam Pak River, terraced rice fields, and many small villages. On arrival, you'll begin a culture and nature trek on small winding paths that locals use between their villages in the jungle. You have the opportunity to meet the local farmers working in the rice fields to learn how they cultivate their land, fish, and hunt for small game. Continuing into the forest, after 1½ hours you'll reach the village of Ban Phavie, a beautiful Khmu village on top of a hill. Your trek will continue after lunch to cooling waterfalls where you can relax in the clear water cascade (weather permitting) before returning to the resort for the night.
6. Day 06 Muang La Resort (B/L)
Starting after breakfast, you'll take another 4x4 ride on a beautiful road along the Nam Pak River to visit two villages of the Ikho people. The Ikho are one of the most reclusive communities in Laos, and originate from Yunnan Province in China and Tibet. It is a remarkable experience to glimpse into the culture and lives of the Ikho, in whose mountain villages you will see houses made of wood and bamboo and learn about their way of life and their belief in the spirit world. The Ikho are known for their method of dyeing their clothes using natural dyes made from the plants of the jungle. Witness and learn about their age-old techniques. This is a half-day tour that transports you back in time. You'll have lunch and free time in the afternoon at the Resort.
7. Day 07 Muang La Resort – Muang Khua – Nong Khiaw on the Nam Ou river (B/L)
You'll leave Muang La Resort and travel along a scenic road to Muang Khua for the start of a river cruise. The river journey from Muang Khua to Nong Khiaw is one of the most beautiful in the region. Board a long-tail boat to begin your journey down the Nam Ou River, discovering many villages and beautiful landscapes with limestone formations rising from the water. Your lunch, a picnic barbecue, will be on one of the beaches along the river. You'll arrive at Nong Khiaw to check in to your resort or guesthouse in this quiet mountainous setting (activities are without guide).
8. Day 08 Nong Khiaw -100 Waterfall Trek or alternative soft adventure (B/L)
After a 1 hour boat trip on the scenic Nam Ou you'll hike through the 100 waterfalls, a recently-discovered waterfall in the jungle. A village visit is included, as well, where you learn more about the life along the Nam Ou River before return by boat to Nong Khiaw.
*Choose the Mountain View tour as an alternative.
9. Day 09 Nong Khiaw – Free day (B)
This is a free day for you to explore the city of Nong Khiaw, relax and take in the grandeur of the Karst scenery, and explore nearby caves if you choose.
10. Day 10 Nong Khiaw – Luang Prabang (B/L)
The journey from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang will follow the Nam Ou and then take you up and over the mountains. Along the way we'll visit the village of Ban Na Nyang, which is famous for their traditional cotton weaving. Almost every household has its own weaving loom where the families create beautiful scarves, table cloths and ornate wall hangings. After the visit in the village we'll continue on the road to the UNESCO world heritage city of Luang Prabang, where drop you off at your hotel.
Included Travel Services
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin shared)
- English speaking guide
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals: B= breakfast, L= lunch, D= dinner
- Lao PDR governmental tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Not Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/pax, depending on nationality)
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request