TOURCODE 61351 (LOW-3) Description
After a scenic drive through the mountains of Laos, experience firsthand the wonder of the Plain of Jars, a mysterious, ancient site scarred by recent conflict. Then get to know the surrounding countryside as well. Visit numerous traditional Hmong and Khmu hill-tribe villages, shop in local markets and tour the MAG visitor center in Phonsavanh.
Private Tour Request Only - Not available as a Join in tour
- Ride through winding, mountainous Lao jungle and villages
- Visit the historic Muang Si city
- Stay the night in Phonsavanh
- Tour sites 1, 2, and 3 of the Plain of Jars
- See Muang Khoun, the former royal capital of the Xieng Khouang region.
- Choose from among morning activities, including markets and the MAG visitor center
Day 01 A Mountain Journey through Laos (L)
We'll leave Luang Prabang and take Route 13 through the highlands and breathtaking scenery to Xieng Khouang. On the way we'll stop to explore one of the many Hmong villages we pass. The small, quiet town of Muang Sui is notable for several reasons. During the Indochina War this was the last position of the Nationalist Lao Army and the CIA, supported by Air America, before it was evacuated. This area became known as 'Lima Site L-108' and the runway and some of the abandoned buildings are still visible today. While in Muang Sui we will visit Buddhist sites in the area, including historic temples and caves used as hospitals and shelters during the Indochina wars. We'll spend the night in Phonsavanh.
Day 02 Plain of Jars and Muang Khoun (B/L)
Your guide will take you to explore the Phonsavanh local market and an exhibit displaying the huge variety of bombs used during the Indochina War on the way to visit the Plain of Jars. You'll visit sites 1, 2 & 3 within the Plain of Jars, all of which have been made safe (other areas are considered too dangerous due to remaining unexploded ordnance (UXO)).
Afterward we’ll take you to explore the city of Muang Khoun, the former royal capital of the Xieng Khouang region. Though the town was heavily bombed during the war, a few colonial French buildings remain, along with several temples and the famous stupa tower of That Foun, built in 1576, and Wat Pievat. It’s said that That Foun was built over the ashes of Lord Buddha which were brought to Laos from India. Lastly we will visit the MAG Visitor Center in downtown Phonsavanh where you can view a film further discussing the areas we visited today.
Day 03 Flight to Vientiane Capital - onward travel (B)
Relax and reflect. At your convenience we will transfer you to the airport for the afternoon flight to Vientiane.
Included Travel Services
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin shared)
- English speaking guide
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals where indicated in itineraries (B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner)
- Lao PDR government tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Not Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/pax, depending on nationality)
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request
Accessibility: Our trips are generally unsuitable for people with reduced mobility and other disabilities. Please contact us to discuss if this trip is suitable for your specific requirements.