TOURCODE 61353 (CCH-4) Description
This thorough introduction to Luang Prabang is designed for the active traveler who wants to see more than just highlights. You'll pedal your way to the best of the city, visit Asian elephants into local rivers, plunge into adventure sports, and indulge in local food with a Laos cooking course.
- Shop with locals in the Luang Prabang Morning Market
- Visit the National Museum, Wat Mai, Wat Visoun, and Wat Xieng Thong
- Learn about Lao ethnic cultures at the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Center
- See the sunset over the Mekong from Phousi Mountain
- Visit elephants in the Nam Khan River valley
- Cruise to the Tad Sae Waterfall or hike to visit hill-tribe villages
- Paddle down the gentle Nam Khan River
- Dine on the banks of the river
- Learn to cook Laos style in the highly-acclaimed Laos style cooking class
Day 01 Luang Prabang by Bike (L)
Begin exploring this wonderful town with your guide on a morning bike ride, starting with the local morning market where you can see the locals getting their daily supplies. The tour will continue with visits to the National Museum (closed on Tuesday and Sunday afternoon), Wat Mai, and Wat Xieng Thong. Here, you'll learn about Lao history and the kingdoms which inherited this place in former times. For lunch our guide will recommend a few great restaurants where you can sample Lao food.
In the afternoon you'll visit Wat Visoun, which dates back to the 16th century, before heading to the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Center where you'll gain a deeper understanding of the ethnic diversity in Laos today. After returning the bikes we'll ascend Phousi Mountain to marvel at the sunset over town before descending into the colorfully-lit tents of the Night Market to shop for handmade crafts.
Day 02 Elephants & Jungle Resort (B/L)
We'll pick you up and take you to the Zen Namkhan Resort and an elephant camp on the Nam Khan River. You'll enjoy a 45 minute elephant experience through the camp and Nam Khan River. You'll observe the slow pace of Lao rural life. During lunch you can enjoy the views of a 1,600m high towering mountain ridge. Afterward take a boat up to the Tad Sae Waterfall
Optional: A short and easy trek will bring you into the “Fair Trek” Project area where communities directly profit from your visit. You get to know the culture and traditions of the Khmu people who have lived here for about sixty years. You'll spend the night at the Zen Namkhan Resort. Read more about Resort Options.
Day 03 Kayak to LPB (B/L)
After breakfast you'll take a short boat ride to Ban Xieng Lom village, where you'll undertake a gentle, 3 to 4-hour kayak tour of the Nam Khan River featuring a few small rapids. We’ll enjoy lunch on a riverbank half-way. After arrival in Luang Prabang you'll head back to your hotel by minivan.
Day 04 Cooking Class (B/L)
Head out of town to picturesque lakeside pavilions where you’ll cook Lao food and learn about the habits and customs at the heart of Lao cuisine. Cooking Lao-style always means using fresh ingredients and discovering intriguing and with unfamiliar flavours. You’ll pound your ingredients in a mortar & pestle and cook over an open fire. The course includes vegetarian options, recipes to take home and transportation.
After a visit to the major local food market -- where you’ll learn about the regional produce and what it is used for -- you'll cook and eat Lao spicy dipping sauces, Mok Pa (fragrant fish steamed with herbs in banana leaves), lemongrass stuffed with chicken & herbs, orlam (Luang Prabang’s eggplant-based speciality) and a surprise dessert!
Included Travel Services
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin shared)
- English speaking guide
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals where indicated in itineraries (B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner)
- Lao PDR government tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Not Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/pax, depending on nationality)
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request
Accessibility: Our trips are generally unsuitable for people with reduced mobility and other disabilities. Please contact us to discuss if this trip is suitable for your specific requirements.