TOURCODE 61355 (NLS-4) Description
Indulge your senses in the mountains and rivers of Laos and spend your nights at luxurious resorts. Journey south from near the Laos-China border to the UNESCO World Heritage site, Luang Prabang: by land and river we’ll travel through mountainous countryside in Laos, passing through Muang Khua, down the Nam Ou River, past Muang Ngoi, to visit Nong Khiaw. Enjoy Nong Khiaw from your resort on the banks of the river and enjoy an invigorating hike before a scenic drive to Luang Prabang.
Private Tour Request Only - Not available as a Join in tour
- Relax and indulge in the Muang La Resort with panoramic setting of mountainous jungle
- Choose from biking, trekking, natural hot springs, sundeck, local culture excursions
- Enjoy a long-tail boat ride from Muang La, past Muang Ngoi to Nong Khiaw
- Visit Patok cave, where locals took shelter from bomb raids during the Indochina War
- Hike to a mountain vista with spectacular 20km views
- Ride along the Nam Ou River to the UNESCO World Heritage city, Luang Prabang
Day 01 Boten – Chinese Border – Muang La Resort (B, L)
After breakfast you'll take a private minivan through the countryside of northern Laos to Muang La in Oudomxai province. The mountains surrounding Oudomxai, near the Chinese border, are home to various ethnic groups including Akha, Iko, Hmong, Khmu, and more. Despite modernization many of these hill tribes still live traditionally and follow local and ethnic customs. You'll spend the night at the Muang La Resort.
Day 02 Muang La Resort (B)
Today you'll choose from a variety of activities including bathing in natural hot spring spas, sundeck lounging, taking local excursions, dining, trekking, exploring caves, experiencing a Baci ceremony, and more. That is in addition to exploring the surrounding area of Muang La with your English-speaking guide on a bike tour and visiting local villages to enjoy the mountain scenery.
Day 03 Muang La Resort – Muang Khua – Nam Ou River - Nong Khiaw (B, L)
This journey is a highlight of Laos, a combination of drive and traditional boat ride (4-5 hours) through spectacular countryside. On the cruise down the Nam Ou River you'll visit a remote jungle village, Sop Jeam, known for the production of some of the finest weaving in the country. Our destination, Muang Ngoi, is unforgettable for its scenery. In the early evening we’ll arrive in Nong Khiaw to spend the night in a riverside lodge.
Day 04 Nong Khiaw – Mountain View Trek – Luang Prabang (B, L)
We'll start the day with a half-day hiking trip to the top of the second-highest point in sight, a spot offering the most scenic view of the Ou River valley. Before departing Nong Khiaw, visit the large Patok Cave where locals took refuge from bombing raids during the Indochina War. On the final leg of this tour we will take a private minivan to the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Luang Prabang, 3.5 hours.
Included Travel Services
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin shared)
- English speaking guide
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals where indicated in itineraries (B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner)
- Lao PDR government tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Not Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/pax, depending on nationality)
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses, and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request
Accessibility: Our trips are generally unsuitable for people with reduced mobility and other disabilities. Please contact us to discuss if this trip is suitable for your specific requirements.