TOURCODE 61355 (NLS-4) Description
Indulge your senses in the mountains and rivers of Laos and spend your nights at luxurious resorts. Journey south from near the Laos-China border to the UNESCO World Heritage site, Luang Prabang: by land and river we’ll travel through mountainous countryside in Laos, passing through Muang Khua, down the Nam Ou River, past Muang Ngoi, to visit Nong Khiaw. Enjoy Nong Khiaw from your resort on the banks of the river and enjoy an invigorating hike before a scenic drive to Luang Prabang.
Private Tour Request Only - Not available as a Join in tour
- Relax and indulge in the Muang La Resort with panoramic setting of mountainous jungle
- Choose from biking, trekking, natural hot springs, sundeck, local culture excursions
- Enjoy a long-tail boat ride from Muang La, past Muang Ngoi to Nong Khiaw
- Visit Patok cave, where locals took shelter from bomb raids during the Indochina War
- Hike to a mountain vista with spectacular 20km views
- Ride along the Nam Ou River to the UNESCO World Heritage city, Luang Prabang
Day 01 BOTEN (alt. Luang Namtha) – OUDOMXAY (-/L/-)
After arrival at the Laos border, you'll take a private minivan through the countryside of northern Laos to Oudomxay province. The mountains surrounding Oudomxay, near the Chinese border, are home to various ethnic groups including Akha, Iko, Hmong, Khmu and more. Despite modernization, many of these hill tribes still live traditionally and follow local and ethnic customs.
Overnight at the Namkat Yorlapa Resort
Day 02 Namkat Resort (B)
You'll choose from a variety of activities including sundeck lounging, taking local excursions, dining, trekking, exploring waterfalls, ziplining and more, in addition to exploring the surrounding area with your English-speaking guide on a tour and visiting local villages to enjoy the mountain scenery.
Overnight at the Namkat Yorlapa Resort (*if you choose an activity, lunch will be provided)
Day 03 NAMKAT RESORT – MUANG KHUA – NAM OU RIVER - NONG KHIAW (B/L)
Transfer by van to Muang Khua, on the banks of the Nam Ou river ( approx. 2 hrs).
The change to a local boat for the trip on the Nam Ou downstream. (need to change boats at the hydroelectric dam)
This journey is a highlight of Laos, a combination of drive and traditional boat ride (5-6 hours) through spectacular countryside. On the cruise down the Nam Ou River you'll visit a remote jungle village, Sop Jeam, known for the production of some of the finest weaving in the country. Our destination, Muang Ngoi, is unforgettable for its scenery. In the early evening, we’ll arrive in Nong Khiaw to spend the night in a riverside lodge.
Day 04 NONG KHIAW – MOUNTAIN VIEWPOINT HIKE – LUANG PRABANG (B/L)
We'll start the day with a half-day hiking trip to the top of the second-highest point in sight, a spot offering the most scenic view of the Ou River valley. Before departing Nong Khiaw, visit the large Patok Cave where locals took refuge from bombing raids during the Indochina War. On the final leg of this tour we will take a private minivan to the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Luang Prabang.
approx. 3 hrs.
Included Travel Services
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin shared)
- English speaking guide
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals where indicated in itineraries (B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner)
- Lao PDR government tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Not Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/pax, depending on nationality)
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses, and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request
Accessibility: Our trips are generally unsuitable for people with reduced mobility and other disabilities. Please contact us to discuss if this trip is suitable for your specific requirements.
Credit card transactions incur a 3% transaction fee.