TOURCODE 61350 (WHI-3) Description
Take the time to really get to know this UNESCO World Heritage site situated on a peninsula formed by the confluence of the Mekong and Khan rivers. Visit the National Museum, marvel at historic Wat Xieng Thong, watch sunsets on the Mekong River from Phousi Mountain, shop local markets, and much more. Experienced guides will ensure that you see all the best of this amazing city.
Private Tour Request Only - Not available as a Join in tour
- Visit the National Museum, Wat Mai, Phousi Mountain, and more Luang Prabang sites
- Shop with locals at the night and morning markets
- Observe the early morning alms-giving
- Ponder the magnificent Wat Xieng Thong
- Cruise on the Mekong to Pak Ou Cave and visit the Saa-paper making village
Day 01 Arrival and Introduction in Luang Prabang (-)
After a private transfer from the airport to your hotel, you'll visit The National Museum, Wat Mai, Wat Visoun, and view the sunset over the Mekong from Wat Phrabath Tai, all before taking an evening stroll through the colourful Night Market.
Day 02 Luang Prabang City tour & Pak Ou Caves (B/L)
Observe the alms-giving ritual (Tak Baat) at 6:00 am before exploring the bustling Morning Market. After a break for breakfast, you’ll visit Phou Si Mountain and Wat Xieng Thong. This 15th century temple is the most important in Luang Prabang and among the most important in the entire country. Until the revolution of 1975, Wat Xieng Thong was a royal temple, supported by the royal family. During the 1960s, Wat Xieng Thong was completely remodeled and redecorated, becoming the splendid temple we see today.
From there, you'll walk to the Mekong River, where you'll take a traditional slow boat cruise, stopping briefly at a Lao Whiskey Village (Lao Khao) en route to the Pak Ou Caves (also called the Tam Ting caves). This is a site of ancient spiritual significance, both Buddhist and animist. Within the two caves of Tam Ting are stupas, shrines, and carvings of Buddha. Over 4,000 wooden figures of Buddha, many highly ornate, stand within the natural limestone caves, testament to the skill of Lao craftsmen through the centuries. On the way back to Luang Prabang we stop at a village where Saa-paper is produced.
3. Day 03 Sok di! Leaving Luang Prabang (B)
"Sok Di," literally "good luck," is a traditional Lao way of wishing farewell. If you have the time before your departing flight, you may opt to visit the Kuang Si Waterfall and the Asian Bear Sanctuary before your airport transfer (tour price will be adjusted for this optional extension).
Included Travel Services
- English speaking guide with license
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin room shared)
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals where indicated in itineraries (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
- Lao PDR government tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Not Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/PAX, depending on nationality)
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request
- Travel insurance of any kind